Lean beef is beef with low amounts of fat and cholesterol, it is classified into extra lean beef and lean beef depending on the total fat and cholesterol level. In a 3.5-ounce serving lean beef has up to 10grams of fat, 4.5 grams of fat and 94 grams of cholesterol. Extra lean beef has up to 5 grams of fat, 2 grams of fat and 95 grams of cholesterol in a 3.5 ounce serving.
Health Benefits of Eating Lean Beef
Lean beef has several important nutrients which ensure proper functioning of the body functions, and has many benefits to the immune system, blood circulation and body metabolism. The following are some health benefits of eating lean beef:
- Iron which is absorbed through lean beef consumption improves the intake of iron which is an important nutrient for development and functioning of the red blood cells. Iron is useful in the formation of hemoglobin which is the pigment used in carrying oxygen to all body parts. Lack of enough hemoglobin leads to anemia since the cells are unable to function well. Iron also makes up a component of myoglobin a protein that serves the function storing oxygen in body muscles.
- Vitamin B12 is also found in lean beef and it is mostly used in yielding red blood cells and aides in fat and protein metabolism. It also plays an important role in hemoglobin synthesis.it also improves the state of body tissues and facilitates neurological functions.
- Coenzyme Q10 is an antioxidant present in lean beef and helps in protecting body cells from harmful radicals formed as byproducts of body metabolism and environmental toxins. This antioxidant also helps in prevention of damage of the cell membranes, proteins and DNA. Coenzyme Q10 also helps aides in body metabolism and also supports the mitochondria which are important in powering body cells.
- Lean beef is a source of nutrients such as zinc, phosphorous and iron which are very crucial in child growth, cognitive function, red blood cells empowerment and prevention of iron deficiency especially when kids are getting to adolescent years.
- Lean beef contains conjugated linoleic acid which plays a great role in cancer prevention by inhibiting and destroying tumor growth and development. This acid also affects one’s body composition by decreasing body fat and increasing lean muscle mass.
- Lean beef contains niacin which is very important in improvement of blood circulation to all parts of the body.
- Zinc and selenium are also important in sustaining a sturdy immune system thus helping the body become more resistant to diseases.
- Lean beef serves in muscle functioning, brain proper functioning and regulation of body temperature, all this functions are enhanced by proper oxygen circulation which is enhanced by a pigment called hemoglobin which is effectively formed from iron.
- Lean beef also helps in elimination of chronic fatigue, iron found in lean beef helps in elimination of all body fatigues by aiding in proper supply of oxygen to all body parts.
Lean beef is the most available source of high quality protein and also provides other important nutrients such as zinc, phosphorous and vitamins which help in proper functioning of body systems.